A juice fast is like pressing fast forward all the systems of detoxification in the body. But, claim the sceptics, the body detoxes itself anyway so why bother? Well, there is no question that the body detoxes itself all the time otherwise you’d be a gonner...so, what's the real juicy story?
Well, just as your home or office can become dusty and dirty, so your body can become clogged up with toxins and waste matter from the environment around us. A healthy body is able to disarm toxins by breaking them down, storing them in fat tissue or excreting them. However, here’s the crux. Many – if not most - people are depleted in the nutrients needed to detox optimally and chronic health problems, sluggishness and weight gain are common results.
A toxin is anything that has a detrimental effect on cell function or structure. Toxins are materials that our bodies cannot process efficiently and over time they build up and as a result, our systems function below par, leaving us drained, tired and frequently ill.
Fresh juices provide a highly effective fast track and - importantly - easy delivery mechanism - for the body to absorb and process key vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals (phytonutrients) that are so beneficial to our health.
In the context of a juice fast, this is really helpful. It’s the break from normal digestion and consumption that allows the body to catch up on it’s inner to-do list. Much like the health benefits of fasting - now better understood through diets such as the 5:2 diet - juice detoxing also helps reduce weight safely, lowers inflammation and promotes healing.
So, skeptics, I suggest you simply give it a try for yourself!
After all, what is the worst that can happen? You'll lose 7lbs, your skin will glow, your digestion will get a chance to rest and you will look and feel younger!
Top 5 juicing tips
- Don’t go it alone. Switching to a juice and broth diet is very hard to do in the context of everyday life. Besides, there’s a whole lot of preparation and cleaning to do that’s simply a hassle.
- If you are going to do it at home, make life easier for yourself by choosing fruits and vegetables that have a high water content to get the most yield out of your shopping basket.
- Try to have a mental detox alongside a body detox. There’s nothing like a bit of time out and perspective if you want to kick start healthier habits.
- When you start juicing vegetables, start with vegetables that you already enjoy and slowly introduce new ingredients. No great rocket science there, but if aversion kicks in because a celery juice churns your stomach, then the juicing habit simply isn’t going to stick.
- If you want to get the benefit of a nutrient-dense green juice, add i ¼ to ½ lemon or lime to the juice to counter any bitterness.