Plant-forward is a style of cooking and eating that emphasises plant-based foods but is not strictly limited to them. Animal products may be included but it’s usually not the main feature of the meal.
It is an approach that might well be more sustainable than another short-lived Veganuary. Plant forward simply means putting plants first, emphasising and celebrating a vegetable-centric diet, elevating plant protein and reflecting principles of health and sustainability on our plates.
It is simple and budget friendly - here's how to make it work.
Aim for 50-75% of lunch and dinner to be made up of plants that grow above ground. If you want to extend this to breakfast, add a smoothie with spinach and / or kale and a little frozen banana with your chosen mylk / milk base. Avocado adds creaminess too.
Eat with the season to add diversity, bringing both nutritional and gut-health benefits. It’s natural to crave more earthy, sustaining sweet potatoes or chunky soups in winter, keeping salads and chilled smoothies for summer. Go with what feels right.
Don’t forget the fats. It can be hard to manage the essential fats when switching to vegan or plant-based eating, especially if you are restricted as to where you can eat nuts and seeds. Make life easier with a fridge-staple vegan friendly oil drizzle.
For plant-forward snacking and light meals, soup or crudities and dips are excellent options.
If you are really up for it, you can plant-forward meals such as lasagna or pizza. Here’s a great low-carb cauliflowe pizza recipe to get you started.
Low-carb cauli Pizza
- 1 Cauliflower head
- 1 egg
- 100g fresh grated parmesan
- 150ml fresh tomato sauce or shop bought passata
- 2 mozzarella balls
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil and rocket
- Cut off cauliflower florets, process into crumbs and then steam
- Squeeze out excess water, mix in the grated parmesan and a beaten egg
- Pat into the shape of a pizza base
- Bake for 10-18 minutes depending on your oven, until slightly golden brown.
- Spread the cauliflowers base evenly with the fresh tomato sauce and place the rest of the ingredients on, leaving the basil and rocket for when the pizza is baked
- Cook for further 8 to 10 minutes.